blog Archives

What happens to your special needs child after you die?

For most parents, the biggest concern about their death is naming a guardian if their children are minors or ensuring that their estate plan has accurate information about how to handle their assets after they pass. For parents of a child with special needs, however, there are other critical considerations.

What you need to know about granting power of attorney

Estate planning consists of various tools you can use to plan for an uncertain future. For example, you can write a will to leave your Gainesville home to your children. Or, you might create a living will in case you become incapacitated and can no longer make decisions for yourself. You might even choose to start a trust for your wife so that you can feel confident she will continue to have income after you pass.

A special needs trust can protect your autistic child

Being a parent is a nerve-wracking pursuit. This is especially true for those who have special needs children in their lives. There are many considerations involved with parenting a special needs child that the average parent will never need to consider. Children with special needs are more likely than their peers to suffer abuse. They may struggle academically as well.

Talk to parents about long-term care sooner rather than later

Talking to your parents about long-term care may seem like an impossible task. In fact, you may have been putting it off for weeks, months or even a year. Unfortunately, the longer you wait, the more difficult it may be to have the conversation and to find proper care that you can trust. The last thing you want to do is to move them into a Gainesville nursing facility without taking enough time to ensure it is safe and your parent, or parents, will be free from the risk of abuse.

How to leave out your in-laws when drafting your estate plan

You have children and assets, so you're doing the responsible thing. You want to create an estate plan or last will to ensure your assets go to the right people. Whether your children are young or are grown and have already married, you probably want to leave something for them. However, no matter how much you may like your son- or daughter-in-law, you probably don't want your child to have to split an inheritance with a spouse in a divorce.

Grandparents should be mindful of gift taxes this holiday season

Part of the joy of building an estate worth protecting is having the resources to give generously to those you love. For many grandparents, few things compare to being able to give your children, grandchildren and other family members gifts that they treasure or providing them with experiences that they might otherwise miss.

The many benefits of a trust in Georgia estate planning

Estate planning can be a complicated process. Of course, you want to ensure that your loved ones and family members will have access to assets after you pass on. You also probably want to make sure certain assets go to certain people. You may have minor children, special needs family members or even beloved pets who require care after you die. A trust is an ideal way to provide for all of those concerns.

Have your aging parents created a health power of attorney?

No one wants to think about their parents getting older, losing mental clarity and slowly dying. However, aging and the physical and mental deterioration that come with it are a part of life. If you're worried about the health and mental capacity of your aging parents, it may be time to talk with them about creating a specific power of attorney to deal with health issues in the future.

Creating a special needs trust to protect an autistic child

A few decades ago, Down syndrome was one of the most common forms of special needs in the United States. With one in 700 live births resulting in a child with Down syndrome, it was common enough to be known without being very likely to impact any given family. These days, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) are the most common form of special needs in the United States. As many as one out of 68 children in the country have some form of this condition.

Email Our Lawyers

Contact Us To Find Out How We Can Help You And Your Family

Call 866-253-6994 or fill out the form below to set up a consult with J. Kevin Tharpe to
talk about your wishes and ways he can help you accomplish your goals.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

We have offices in Gainesville and Young Harris for your convenience.

Gainesville Office
405 Broad Street SE
Gainesville, GA 30501

Toll Free: 866-253-6994
Fax: 770-531-5511
Gainesville Law Office Map

Gainesville Office

Young Harris Office
1352 Main Street, Suite 1
Young Harris, GA 30582

Toll Free: 866-253-6994
Fax: 770-531-5511
Young Harris Law Office Map

Young Harris Office